Last week, pre-orders of Apple’s new smart speaker HomePod has been started. HomePod software is installed and updated via OTA(Over-the-Air) through iPhone or iPad running iOS 11.2.5 or later through Home App.
Apple has integrate its software update function in Home App same like as in Apple Watch via Watch app. That is you can update the HomePod version in the same way you do with your Apple Watch. Home app will notify users and show a badge when the HomePod software update is available.
Apple’s HomePod is another smart speaker that can do things with your voice commands such as read news, control Music, control Home, forecast weather, reply to Messages – Email and more.
HomePod comes in two colors: White and Space Gray and will be available to buy for $349.
Are you planing to get HomePod ? If so your iPhone or iPad must be compatible to work with it.
Here are the Compatible iOS Devices with HomePod
- iPhone 5S
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- All iPad Pro Models
- 2017 iPad 5th Generation
- iPad Air and later
- iPad Mini 2 and later
- iPod Touch 6th Generation
Apple has confirmed the supported Audio Sources for new HomePod like Apple Music, iTunes Music Purchases, iCloud Music Library with an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, Beats 1 Live Radio, Podcasts, AirPlay other content to HomePod from iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, and Mac. For more HomePod details click on this link.
HomePod requires the same version installed on your iPhone/iPad too. There are more new function to reveal in Home app for HomePod. Till then, follow this steps on to update the HomePod Software via OTA using Home App.
How to Software Update HomePod via Home App
- Make sure you have the latest iOS 11.2.5 or later installed on your iPhone/iPad
- Open Home app
- Select the “Home” tab from the bottom.
- Tap the little arrow icon in the top left corner
- Scroll down and under Speakers, you should find Software Update section.
- Tap on Software Update
- There you can see the Toggle Switch whether to Install HomePod updates automatically or manually or Choose the option you like.
- The updated firmware will be listed, hit install.
- That’s it.