The @Pwn20wnd team may not have updated Unc0ver jailbreak with support for A12 devices such as the iPhone XS and iPhone XR, but to use the new Sock Puppet exploit, it was quick to update its jailbreaking tool. This allows iPhones and iPads running iOS 12.2 to jailbreak while iOS 12–iOS 12.1.2 was previously limited.
While one can now jailbreak iOS 12.1.2–iOS 12.2, it’s a bit unstable in nature to use the Sock Puppet exploit. With continuous future updates, the Unc0ver team will probably solve these problems. Since Apple no longer signs iOS 12.2, if your iPhone or iPad runs a newer iOS build, you can’t downgrade back to it. There’s not much you can do in such a scenario except wait and hope an iOS 12.3 jailbreak will also be released in the near future.
Which iPhone & iPad support iOS 12 – 12.2 Unc0ver Jailbreak
- iPhone 5s (iOS 12 – iOS 12.1.2)
- iPhone 6 (iOS 12 – iOS 12.1.2)
- iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 12 – iOS 12.1.2)
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPad Air
- 6th gen iPad
- Remove any downloaded iOS 12 OTA file from your iPhone / iPad. Delete it from Settings-> Storage and reboot your device before trying to jailbreak it.
- You can install the tvOS 12 profile on it to prevent future iOS 12 OTA updates from being downloaded to your device.
- Make sure all important data on the device is backed up.
- While using Uncover, the Sock Puppet exploit can jailbreak iOS 12.1.2–iOS 12.2 is a bit unreliable in nature. With A7-A8 devices like the iPhone 5s, iPhone for now, it also has some problems.
How To Jailbreak iPhone & iPad Running iOS 12 – iOS 12.2 Using Unc0ver
- Go to ignition.fun on your iPhone / iPad running iOS 12-iOS 12.2. Instead of using the Ignition app, you can continue using the website.Find unc0ver by using the search button at the bottom. Be sure to download Unc0ver’s beta version as this is the one that supports iOS 12–iOS 12.2 jailbreaking right now. Tap the Get button to download the app from the prompt you receive, followed by the Install button. The installation process may take a few minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection.
- Head over to Settings- > General-> Device Management. Tap the name of the developer and Trust on the certificate. Without this, the unc0ver jailbreak app can not be launched on your iPhone.
- Tap the Jailbreak button after launching the Unc0ver and wait for the app to do its job. During the process after which you should see the Cydia icon on your home screen, your iPhone or iPad will respring.If the app is stuck in the “Extracting Cydia…” step, you’ll have to reboot your iPhone / iPad and try to jail it again.